Saturday 29 October 2011

The Eslöv blues festival, day two

I didn't stay for all bands, because the last artist I saw, Slidin' Slim, was so good there was no reason for staying for the others. This gig, the Slidin' Slim gig was, in my book, the second best gig I've ever attended (for those who wonder, The Warriors in Oslo was the best). To stay to hear the headliners, whom the morning papers will all cover anyway, would simply be to be disapointed and bring down the total experience.

Slidin' Slim plays neotraditional blues on a steel guitar, which I'm always a sucker for. He's got the guitar sound, of course, but he has also got a bassy, deep voice perfect for singing the blues. Dunno whether he smokes or drinks, but his voice sounds like it has had a copule of shots of Bourrbon in his days.

The second band I saw today was Blue Mood, a geezer singing over a piano and a lad playing the guitar. This lad, however, is an old school pal of mine, whom I haven't seen in years, so we had a small chat before they entered the stage.

As the guitarist is a pal, it would be unfair to give them a review proper, as I can't be objective. I'll settle for describing their music.

Blue Mood plays, soft, laidback blues that pays as much homage to Muddy Waters, as it does, I think, to Nina Simone and, perhaps unintentionally, Sade. The guitarist also showed he's influenced by kids telly, cos he played the theme to Inspector Gadget in an ad-lib.

They were real crowd pleasers.

The first band I saw was a band called Cajun Peppar. As you might guess from their name, they are heavily influenced by cajun music, which I, as my faithful blog readers all know, like. Geez Louise, I thought I was the only Skånepåg who knew who Nathan Abshire and The Balfa Brothers were.

This band plays a form of cajun which is heavily influenced by blues. You really notice the African-American influence in their music and people often forgot that there is much African-American influences in cajun too. It ain't all celtic stuff.

Some tunes were all bluesy, but had a cajun accordion in it, which spiced their sound up and i didn't miss the fiddle at all, they were good, alright!

Cajun peppar mixes singing in English, Creol French and theirs and mine Skånska.

I really liked this band and I really liked the setting, Röstånga Mölla Café and the fact that there was no alcohol involved. Only bad thing I can say about them is the fact that they were a bit untight at times, but they were good enough to have this fact pardoned.

I really like the fact that there is a Skånskt cajun band and I will try to see them loads more times. Hopefully, people will dance then.

This was a great festival, the twelth in a row, unless I'm mistaken. Eslöv is a town in the deep Swedish south and not much happen here, so it's really cool that people bring blues to the town. For someone who likes American music, it's not easy to find gigs to attend, especially not in little Eslöv.

Two thumbs up for the crew!

Slidin' Slim gets 99,9% in level of satisfaction.
Cajun Peppar were also good and gets 81,3% in level of satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment