Saturday 1 October 2011

Eilen Jewell - "Queen of the minor key"

This record came out in June, already and I should've had reviewed it earlier, but I only got around to buying it a few weeks ago.

The reasons for reviewing it now are threefold. The first and obvious reason is that more people deserve to experience the music of miss Jewell and her band. The second is that I reviewed the record in my Swedish blog a few weeks ago and only decided to take my English-language blogging more seriously just recently. Lastly, I was offered by her record label to review the record already when it came out, but I like supporting good musicians and insisted on buying the record myself. I could've reviewed it digitally, but I'm old school and prefer owning the music I like on a disc!

As for this record, yes, to everyone who likes Eilen Jewell, this record is a must-have. It might not be groundbreaking, no, it's just more of the Jewell-sound you like from previous records. A bit of melancholy, a bit of 50's style music and a big dose of country!

This record is also noteworthy for the fact that Eilen Jewell has written all the tunes herself.

This record is, no matter what comes out later this year (or previously, for that matter!), one of the best releases in country music this year. I would love to hear this material live too, so we can just hope that miss Jewell returns to Sweden this year with a load of these tunes in her set! I don't think it's impossible, cos a load of good country artists have been playing Sweden lately and if I can afford it, I'll see Steve Earle in Malmö this autumn!

I would definitely recommend this record for all fans of country music, but I also think that people who like rockabilly or Swedish folk can enjoy this. To all fans of Swedish singer Amanda Jensen, it's a must-have (and I can really recommend all fans abroad of Eilen Jewell to discover Amanda Jensen!).

The only thing I can criticise this record for is the fact that it's stuck a bit in a rut and not too groundbreaking. That is not necessarily such a bad thing and, as I said, it's one of the best releases this year. All her old fans will like it and new fans will absolutely, I'm sure, adore it.

It's a good record, alright, but the fact that it ain't too groundbreaking means that I can't give it a totally satisfactionary stamp of approval.

I give it 72% in level of satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment