Saturday 29 October 2011

The Eslöv blues festival, day one

I only saw the first two bands last night. I worked all week and got tired and went home from the festival 10.30 pm-ish. The two bands I saw, Vantamölla Bluesband and Bloosblasters were very much the business, though.

Vantamölla should have been the main attraction, but I'm glad they weren't cos in that case, I would have missed them. They were that good. They played traditional blues in English without attempting to sound like african americans, which was a good thing. It's better to be yourself and do your own thing.

After a few songs, the audience was dancing in front of the stage. There was no bad tunes, but the best tune was a song about the vocalist's son, who died a few years ago, it was very emotional and received massive applause at the end of it.

This is definitely a band I would like to see more times.

Bloosblasters played what is described as "gladbloos", that is blues with my accent, that is Skånska (the southernmost region in Sweden) and I was prepared for a bad version of Peps Persson, the artist most known from this genre, but theese geezers had their own style. Their lyrics were witty and contained anything from the vocalist's dog to sex and family troubles.

I'm sure some purists consider this band fake, cos they sing in Skånska and about not so serious things. But that would be to underestimate this band. As and old punk rock vocalist, I know that it's far more difficult to write witty lyrics than it is to write socially aware stuff. Any one can criticise the government, but not anyone can make his neighbour laugh. And besides, the band was really tight when it came to music. The vocalist picked up his guitar every now and then and made some really good riffs and he was a demon on the harmonica as well.

Vantamölla Blueband gets 98,3% in level of satisfaction, they were that good.
Bloosblasters were also good and gets 89,8% in level of satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment