Saturday 1 October 2011

Dock Boggs - "His folkways years 1963-1968"

I had no clue who Dock Boggs was yesterday, I must admit. I came into the best record store in southern Sweden, or at least the record store with the best selection of american music, looking for the latest Merle Haggard album and when they didn't have that, I asked for the new best of Bluegrass album Country Music People reviewed in the latest issue.

Now, Folk å Rock (the record store in Malmö town I went to) had neither, but the shop clerk recommended me this record, as well  as a record by Earl Scruggs. I was completely blown away by both, but the Dock Boggs album struck me that hard I've been listening to it non stop since I got out of bed this morning.

Dock Boggs is truly folk. Musically, it's bluesy American folk with a unique sound. He sometimes remind me of another great white American singer, who was influenced by blues as well, Nathan Abshire, though Abshire sang in french. But to be fair, Boggs is both better than Abshire, as well as having more influences than blues, there is European influences as well in his blend of folk music.

The record comes with a booklet full of info on mr Boggs and if half of it is true, he seems to have had a truly interesting life. A coal mine worker and a bootlegger of corn whiskey in and out of trouble, the kind of life you'd expect from an oi! singer, not a folk singer. However, what I, as a Christian labour man appreciate is Boggs foundation in faith, as well as in the trade union movement.

The music is so good that Boggs could do instrumental numbers only, but the lyrics really stand out as well, covering the life of poor people in the American south.

Boggs started recording in the 1920's, but gave it up and didn't record again for almost 35 years. This could give Boggs music a bit of a dated feeling and to be true, yes, it's old time fashioned bluesy folk, but it's still relevant. What one, however, can say about it is that one can hear which influences bluegrass, country and folk had in the 1940's-60's. Boggs was one of their sources of influence no doubt. The fact that his music continued to be popular between 1929 and 1963 despite the man not doing any recordings then says it all.

This is a brilliant piece of work and truly a milestone in folk, yet it leaves some to wish for, so I won't give it a totally flawless stamp of approval, but almost. I give it 95,9% in rate of satisfaction.

No comments:

Post a Comment