Friday 4 November 2011

Cajun Peppar, "S/T"

I don't know where to start. This demo-cdr is an act of musical brilliance, it puts together all things I love, American music and Skåne (the region of Sweden where I live) pride.

I bought this record at the band's concert at the Eslöv Blues Festival last weekend and for those of you who missed them, Cajun Peppar plays Cajun-influenced music spiced up with blues, country, a bit of Steve Riley-ish pop-Cajun and Skånsk "dansband", dansband being what some people call Scandinavian country, but which is a genre with it's roots in domestic dancing music, as well as in 50's rock and roll and country.

The band is, in other words, rooted in Cajun, but being influenced by many genres. There is, however, accordion in each tune, but no fiddle.

They are also influenced by many languages, you get a wee bit of Creol French, loads of English and, of course, some Skånska. They mix languages in some songs and only one is in all Skånska, Kvinna eller Man?, a perhaps politically incorrect tune about transgendered people. It's funny, though.

What I like with this band is the mix of Skånsk and Cajun culture. I've said it before, us from Skåne, the deep south of Sweden, suffer the same prejuidices as people from the south of the USA and to translate "Cajun land" to "Skåneland" and "Cajun guy" to "Skånepåg" in the beautiful song Colinda!, that's just brilliant!

I would recommend this record to all fans of Cajun and Skånsk music, I think it appeals as much to both audiences. Wouldn't it be cool if more bands started mixing Skånsk and Cajun music? We already have Skånsk blues, hip hop and reggae, which the northerners listen to as well. They might not understand much, but us Skåningar have rythm in our blood.

I will see this band live again and again if I can, cos they're not just good on record, I know for a fact that they're brilliant live as well. Let's pray they get a record deal as well!

A brilliant and innovative demo with loads of potential like this naturally gets 100% in rate of satisfaction!

1 comment:

  1. Next gig down south: 17/12, Mässingshornet, Malmö

    ReplyDelete