Saturday 31 March 2012

Will Kimbrough & Brigitte DeMeyer @ Folk Å Rock, Malmö

I have continuously sung the praise of the Folk Å Rock record store in Malmö and yesterday gave me more reason to do so, cos they arranged a brilliant concert in the store in the evening.

When I lived in London, the big Oxford Street record stores would arrange in-store concerts with big artists like Usher and hundreds of young people would crowd the record store to see their favourite artist.

Folk Å Rock is nothing like that. The store itself is quite small, actually, so i don't think more than 50-60 people attended the gig yesterday. This meant that Kimbrough could communicate with the audience quite easily and he did so splendidly too. I would say the setting was intimate.

The record store is located at "Lilla Torg", one of the most fashionable and trendy places in Malmö when it comes to night-life, with loads of bars and coffee houses. This meant that a load of trendies passed by the store on their way to the bar. Most of them looked into the windows and I couldn't help feeling sorry for them. They would go on to get ridiculously drunk and listen to ridiculous pop music, while they had real music just a few doors down.

The one thing which bothered me about the gig, though, was the fact that it was too small for people to dance. I wasn't going to dance even if there was space to do so, cos, frankly speaking, the problem with me is that I've got no rythm. But the music played by DeMeyer and Kimbrough is folk music and if you play folk music, people should be able to dance. Folk music wasn't made for music nerds to sit and snap their fingers to, but for celebration, dancing and fun. In old times, when the local minstrel took out his fiddle or guitar, it was a time for joy and I think that the fact that this is lost on today's folk music fan base is tragic.

The gig itself was, despite DeMeyer's lost voice, nothing but brilliant. In a few years, they'll be superstars within the genré, of that I'm sure, cos the guitar handling was brilliant and the songs were ace too.

Kimbrough seems to be standing with one foot in traditional Americana and one foot in more modern singer-songwriting and does a good job at both, as well as combining them.

I really like the lyricism too. Kimbrough combined a sense of humour with more serious stuff. In some songs you get both, in one he described, in a brilliant play on words, a teenage prostitute as "the rottening apple of her daddy's eyes".

And the cover of Hank Williams Sr's I'm so lonesome I could cry was one of the best numbers they did, do their own material was far from bad too.
Kimbrough and DeMeyer completed each other brilliantly too. DeMeyer has a very good singing voice, despite her throat problem and was good at the guitarplaying too.

I had big expectations for this concert and though it wasn't as good as I thought it would be, it was still a good concert.

I'll be checking out the music of DeMeyer and Kimbrough and I think you should too. If you like this kind of music, you won't be able to avoid them in a couple of years time and they sure won't play for theese small crowds then neither.

As I'm fairly satisfied, I'll give this concert 82,3% in rate of satisfaction!

No comments:

Post a Comment